The entertainment capital of the world
Los Angeles is a trend-setting global metropolis with an extraordinary history and a rich cultural heritage. It’s known as the Entertainment Capital of the World and is home to renowned museums, along with 75 miles (120 kms) of sunny coastline. With so much to see and do, the best way to discover L.A. is by exploring L.A.’s vibrant and diverse neighbourhoods.
In L.A., every neighbourhood sets a different scene. Eclectic, progressive, trendy, laid back or retro, there’s a signature locale ready to host your next only-in-L.A. moment.
Best time to visit:
Los Angeles and Southern California’s climate has often been described as “perfect” and with good reason. Most days are sunny and warm, with gentle ocean breezes in the summer. The humidity is low with little rain. In fact, there are no unpleasant seasons in Los Angeles.
- Annual precipitation: 15 inches
- Average high temperature: 23° Celsius
- Average sunny days: 292 days
- Average low temperature: 14° Celsius
What to see in L.A:
L.A. has a fascinating history and a rich cultural heritage. LA's cultural attractions are second to none, whether it’s the Space Shuttle Endeavour at the California Science Centre, Walt Disney Concert Hall, the Getty Center or art galleries and urban art. From Universal Studios Hollywood’s Transformers: The Ride-3D to legendary movie studios, thriving nightlife and renowned theatre productions, LA is truly the entertainment capital of the world. LA dining is acclaimed for Michelin-starred restaurants and multicultural neighbourhoods alike. Sports fans know that LA is the city of champions, while active visitors can explore 75 miles of coastline and hundreds of miles of bike and hiking trails. Shop for everything from couture to vintage, or relax in one of LA’s world class spas.
L.A’s Top 5 Must Do’s
- Arts & Culture – LA is home to more art galleries than any other US city and the current hot spot is - The Broad: is a new contemporary art museum on Grand Avenue in downtown Los Angeles and home to the nearly 2,000 works of art. The gallery is free to visit but due to its popularity you must register online for a timed ticket.
- Outdoors: Nothing beats hiking through Griffith Park and the Hollywood hills for epic views of the city and the famed Hollywood sign. Take a guided tour and learn about the largest urban park ion the USA and finish off with Sunset views across the entire city.
- Shopping: If you are searching for a truly eclectic shopping experience, look no further than Abbot Kinney Boulevard in Venice. This bustling district, which stretches from Venice Boulevard to Pacific Avenue, is a popular destination for Boho chic shoppers. Dubbed "the coolest block in America" by GQ, Abbot Kinney is home to one-of-kind local goods as well as internationally recognized brands. LA is alos home to great mall shopping such as Citadel Outlets, the Grove or the new Westfield Century City is a must shop!
- Dining: Grand Central Market, a downtown L.A landmark since 1917, brings together the cuisines and cultures of LA. You can try authentic LA favourites such as tacos, burritos, and tortas or the original Chop Suey at China Café to freshly shucked oysters and gourmet egg sandwiches for breakfast.
- Sports: Catching a live sports game is the highlight of a visit to L.A for many and with global super star teams such as the Lakers, the Clippers, the Dodgers and the Kings makes finding a game year-round an essential part of your L.A holiday.
*Content courtesy of Discover Los Angeles